Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The road less travelled

    It is not every day that we get to learn something new. But, today I happened to drive a bike in heavy rain and roads with puddles and hidden manholes. There was a college friend of mine who came to see me today. I had planned a lot to come up with all the possible nonsense that we could do together. But, all went in vain due to some other inevitable commitments. We tried to make the maximum possible out of what was available and his time had come to leave. I was not at all satisfied and my excitement still didn't die down. He missed the local train and I offered to drop him by bike. As we approached Tank Bund, it started raining heavily and I had to send him off. I waited and waited, continued to wait, and rain was getting even more severe.
    It was then I decided to drive in rain and I learnt the lesson of my life. "It is not so easy to drive in rain." Several motorcyclists stopped by to take shelter and I felt like a hero fighting bravely against it. I was drenched in rain but continued, though not long before I had to give up the feud against it due to strong winds. Once the winds calmed, though rain continued, my journey back to college resumed. The fuel was low and the horn not working. The bike began skidding every few meters and I experienced my worst ever traffic jam.. from Secratariat to Masab Tank Flyover, that too in rain. Moving at snail's pace, I reached the flyover. As I tried to escalate up, I could feel the current of the water flowing down the road clogging me in ankle deep water. I tried to stop, but the traffic behind me persuaded (forced) me to continue. I managed to somehow get back to the hostel, and to my utter astonishment, there was not a single drop of rain at home.
       It was a great experience and I enjoyed it to the fullest. It is very rare that we find ourselves in such situations, and this was my first. Indeed, it was of course a road less traveled for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment